Now that you have received eternal life, Jesus wants to guide you daily in your new spiritual adventure. It is important to realize that He should do more than just reside in your life. He should be the Lord of all of your life. Confessing Jesus as the Lord of your life means that you trust Him to direct your life.
Trusting Jesus to direct your life is similar to driving down the highway with another person. While you are driving, you are in control of the vehicle. But, when you realize that you do not know the right way to go and the other person does, you allow the other person to take the control of the vehicle. As a result, you take the route he or she chooses. Trusting Jesus is like saying to Him: “You direct my life and I will go with You!” A life directed by Jesus in this way will be spiritually fruitful and filled with joy (read John 15:4).
1. Jesus Christ Is Lord.
Jesus claimed to be our Lord in John 13:13 when He said, “You call me ‘Teacher’ and ‘_______________,’ and rightly so, ________________ _______________ _________________ ________________ _______ ________________ .”
How did Thomas describe Jesus in John 20:28?
Fill in the blanks to discover how the apostle Paul described Jesus in his writings.
(1) The Lord of _________________________________________________ (read 1 Corinthians 2:8).
(2) The Lord of ______________________________________________ (read 2 Thessalonians 3:16).
(3) Only ______________________________________, the King of ________________ and Lord of
_____________________________________________ (read 1 Timothy 6:15).
2. Jesus Christ Has Earned the Right to Direct Your Life.
Philippians 2:8-11 states: Jesus “humbled himself and became obedient to death—even death on a cross! Therefore God ___________________ him to the __________________________________ and
___________________________________ him the name that is above every name, that at the name of _______________________ every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that ______________ _________________ is _________________________, to the glory of God the Father.”
Paul, in the book of Philippians, understood that Jesus was worthy to direct his life. What did Paul challenge other believers to do with their lives in Romans 12:1-2?
3. Jesus Christ Desires to Direct Your Life. His direction can be experienced on a daily basis as you:
(1) Recognize daily His right to direct your life (read Luke 9:23)
(2) Confess your sins consistently and accept His promise of forgiveness (read 1 John 1:9).
(3) Trust Him completely as you allow Him to direct your:
• Time (read Ephesians 5:15-16)
• Money (read 1 Corinthians 16:2)
• Abilities (read Colossians 3:17)
• Relationships (read Matthew 22:34-40)
• Mind (read Romans 12:1-2)
• Ambitions (read Matthew 6:33)
• Morality (read 1 Corinthians 6:19-20)
What areas in your life need to be placed under the direction of Jesus? List them and allow Jesus to begin to direct each area now.
Jesus Christ is ________________________________________________
Jesus Christ has_______________________________________ ____________________________
_________________________to direct your life.
(First Steps lessons are adapted from "Beginning Steps, A Growth Guide for New Believers, ©1993, North American Mission Board of the Southern Baptist Convention, Alpharetta, Georgia)
"Be ready, for the Son of Man is coming at an hour you do not expect." Luke 12:40
Copyright © 2020 Get Ready Now 4 Life - All Rights Reserved.